Thursday, November 25, 2010

Mesopotamian Currency

I've been doing a very brief bit of research on the money that was used by the Mesopotamians, and have become pretty sure of what they used.

(sorry about that sentence, it reads rather strangely)

So, the Mesopotamians used the silver shekel, and (I believe) silver mina, with their value based on the amount of grain. Using a base sixty (?) system, I'm pretty sure I read that 1 shekel equalled about sixty mina, and each mina had a 'base price' of about 10 grains I think?

So yeah, not 100% sure, but my players won't know any better, so everything's cool.

I'll post about the Mesopotamian pantheon soon, as I've got it all sorted out (i.e. who was descended from who, their domains, for lack of a better word, and which cities that they're patrons of).

I'm also finishing off a not-quite-accurate-but-good-enough-for-me hexmap of Mesopotamia.

7 comments:

  1. that was really unuseful and odd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating. You cut right to the crux of the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this has been helpful thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks this helps

    ReplyDelete
  5. a shekel is as heavy as 180 grains of barley a mina is worth 60 shekels and a talent is worth 60 minas

    ReplyDelete